Elmer’s Glue DIY Sea Glass

I have a baby shower I’m co-hosting this weekend. We decided to do it crazy pink. I’m really excited about all the the elements in the works. We are setting it up as more of a cocktail party than a traditional baby shower. We wanted to do a variety of pink flowers for part of the decor. I had seen these DIY painted sea glass on Pinterest, and I thought they’d be a lot of fun to try for this party.
Materials needed: Old vases (Goodwill is always a good option if you don’t have some on hand), Elmer’s Glue, Food Coloring and Sponge Paint Brushes.
You mix the glue with the food coloring to make your desired color. Add a little coloring to the glue, and then keep adding until you have the color you want. I put on the glue paint on around the lower part of the vase and the upper rim. Then, you do smooth strokes all the way up and down the vase. I had Abby do the initial work on the vases while the other kids were sleeping. Then, I came back over with the smooth stroke to give it a more polished finish. It has been fun to see how much my kids can actually help at times. Before Meaningful Mama, I’d be doing this work by myself.
The great thing about these vases is you can make them in any color and any darkness. This was just one coat. The coat is on the outside, so you don’t need to worry about the water on the inside of the vase. Just try not to drip on the outside as you are filling it with water. I’m sure you could put some sort of sealant on to make them last longer. However, I had some drips that didn’t look good on one, and I was able to just peel of the paint and do the section over again. I love that if I wanted a different color, I can clean these up and do it again. We will be doing pink flowers for the party, but I only had purple in the moment, so that’s what’s pictured above.
Reader Comment Tip: “I read this technique a few days ago on Tiphero.com. They said you coiuld seal your jars with Krylon Clear which comes in a gloss & semi-gloss.You have to use several coats.”
I love my readers. Thanks for helping!

1. Anonymous says

Mine looks streaky, is that normal? I tried it with paint brush and with a sponge brush. Love the look and the flowers. Etage

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I had one that turned out streaky. It seemed the ones that worked the best were the really cheap ones from your basic flower store bouquet. It seemed the thicker the glass, the better it was. I had one that I goofed up on, and I just peeled it off and started over. The streaks didn’t matter much when they were filled with water and had flowers. I hope that helps.

2. Cathie says

How did you get the right shade of pink? I ysed red food coloring with the glue and it turned out orange. I have some really great shaped bottles that I want pink to be filled with big round bouquets of babys breath to also use for a baby shower.

3. Maira says

I just wanted to thank you for sharing this project!! I tried it and my vases look so adorable!!! This was easy and breezy! I didnt even have to spend a dime!!! I had all the material at hand at my home which was awesome!!! thank you again!!! how do i post a pic?

4. Kelsey says

This looks like a ton of fun. I have a few glass jars that I’ve been meaning to craft with and I think this will do just the trick. Have you come across anything that makes a good sealant to prevent the coloring from coming off?

I hope you have fun with this. I haven’t tried to seal it, so I’m afraid I’m not much help there. I have used them for events and then was able to peal it off to change colors for other celebrations. Sorry I don’t have more information for you.

• Linda says

Like this idea, someone told me about this and said if you put glass in oven at 350F for 1/2 hour it cures it. I haven’t tried it yet. You may be able to spray it with clear matte sealant to seal it too.