Jodi’s Best Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- 1 cup butter flavored shortening (room temperature)
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 lbs powdered sugar, or about 8 cups (sifted for best results)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 oz heavy whipping cream
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and butter until fluffy. Add sugar, one cup at a time, mixing a bit between each addition. When adding sugar, you will want to start the mixer slowly so it doesn’t explode everywhere. Continue creaming until well blended.
- Add salt, vanilla, and 6 ounces whipping cream. Blend on low speed until moistened. Beat at high speed until frosting is fluffy, 1-2 minutes.
Some have asked about substituting butter for shortening. That would be fine. I like adding the shortening because it adds stability, but it will still work for butter. Here is a great post that explains shortening a bit more.
Today I made some cupcakes with my little man. I often let the little ones help in the kitchen. Yes, it can be a bit more challenging. Especially when you have a 17 month old helping you while you are trying to take pictures. Tricky? Yes. Do-able? Sure. He really enjoys dumping the ingredients and feeling a part of the process.
I just did my favorite chocolate cake recipe. I can’t help but mention my favorite white velvet cake too, just in case you are looking for a white cake to make with this recipe. Then, I did my favorite buttercream recipe. It’s a simple buttercream, but I have found that I like the texture and consistency for the kind of cakes I do. It has a good stiffness to it. It compliments cake well too.