We love appetizers. My family often does appetizers for special occasions. Everyone brings 2 appetizers, and then we also plan a dessert. This was the exact plan for Christmas Eve this year. This Caprese Crescent® Appetizer Recipe I’m offering today only has five ingredients, which makes it easy and cost effective. The classic caprese flavors of tomato, mozzarella and basil were delivered in a tasty little package that you might want to consider the next time appetizers are on the menu.
Christmas is a special time for our family, and my side of the family especially loves to celebrate with food. There is a lot of talk and planning that goes into not only having some of our favorite recipes present but also trying new creations. We enjoy food. We enjoy experimenting. We are the type of people who are talking about what we are going to eat for lunch while we are having breakfast. This kind of heritage leads me to invent bites like this Caprese Crescent® Appetizer Recipe. Gathering around the kitchen with great food really is one of my favorite holiday traditions. I would love for you to share some of your holiday #warmtraditions with me too.
Ingredients Needed to Make Caprese Crescent® Appetizer Recipe
- 2 cans Pillsbury® Crescent® Dough Sheet – Pillsbury® be found at your local Walmart store. This is my first experience with dough sheets, and I was super excited to find them at Walmart. For other recipes where I’ve wanted a sheet, I’ve pinched together all the Crescent® triangles and then rolled it out.
- 1/2 cup Pesto – Here’s a great homemade recipe if you would rather make it from scratch.
- 8 oz Mozzarella, shredded or thinly sliced
- 2 large Tomatoes or 4-5 Roma Tomatoes
- Italian Seasoning
- 1 Egg Yolk
How to Make Caprese Crescent® Appetizer Recipe
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25-35 minutes
Total Time: 40-50 minutes
Makes: 35-40 pieces serving 10-20 people
- Grease a jelly roll pan and set oven to 350.
- Open one container of Pillsbury® Crescent® Dough Sheet and unroll on tray.
- Roll dough to slightly smaller than the size of the jelly roll pan.
- Spread pesto over the dough leaving a 1 inch border around the edge.
- Cut tomatoes thinly and add one layer of tomatoes to the top of the best.
- Add 8 oz of mozzarella cheese evenly on top of the tomato layer.
- Open second container and unroll Crescent® on non-stick or floured surface.
- Roll out to the size of the other sheet.
- Add rolled dough to the top of the appetizer and pinch the edges together to seal in the other ingredients.
- Beat one egg yolk with 1 Tbsp water and brush on top.
- Sprinkle the top of the appetizer with Italian Seasoning.
- Bake 18-25 minutes or until golden brown. Check at 18 minutes. If top is getting too brown but bottom is not yet finished, cover with foil and cook for the remaining amount time.
- Cut into rectangles or squares and serve.
Have fun trying out this fun spin on a classic caprese. You could also make these as a lunch pocket by putting the filling inside two of the Crescent® triangles.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Pillsbury. The opinions and text are all mine.