Jodi’s Best Buttercream Frosting Recipe (affiliate links provided)
- 1 cup butter flavored shortening (room temperature)
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 lbs powdered sugar, or about 8 cups (sifted for best results)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 oz heavy whipping cream
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and butter until fluffy. Add sugar, one cup at a time, mixing a bit between each addition. When adding sugar, you will want to start the mixer slowly so it doesn’t explode everywhere. Continue creaming until well blended.
- Add salt, vanilla, and 6 ounces whipping cream. Blend on low speed until moistened. Beat at high speed until frosting is fluffy, 1-2 minutes.
Some have asked about substituting butter for shortening. That would be fine. I like adding the shortening because it adds stability, but it will still work for butter. Here is a great post that explains shortening a bit more.
Here’s the cupcakes I made the day of the post: