Today we found a few different experiments with vinegar and baking soda.
The first experiment was the best. I dumped a bit of vinegar in a bottle with a small opening at the top. Then, I filled a balloon with some baking soda. I tested it first to make sure I had the right balance to make it work. I used about 1/2 cup vinegar and 3/4 tsp baking soda. I then attached the balloon to the top of the bottle. I had done this all without them watching. Then, I asked the girls, “How do we make a balloon get bigger?” They both demonstrated blowing. I said, “Do you think I could make that balloon bigger without blowing?” They concluded, “No.” I held the balloon up a bit, which released the baking soda into the vinegar, and to their amazement the balloon began to expand.
I explained to them that it was what was called a “chemical reaction” between baking soda and vinegar. I had them repeat that phrase. We then decided to experiment with those two elements when put together inside a film canister. We put 1 tsp of baking soda in a piece of Kleenex and wrapped it up into a little ball. Then, we put 3 tsp of vinegar in the film canister. Working quickly, I put the baking soda tissue into the film canister and shut the lid. My understand was that the lid was suppose to fly off. We only got a little “pop,” even though we attempted it a few times. They like watching the lid pop off a little though.
The final experiment, I hate to say, was a total bust. We gathered up 12 rocks. You are suppose to cover the rocks completely in vinegar in separate bowls. If the rock has calcium carbonate in it, the rock is suppose to start fizzing. Apparently, none of our rocks had calcium carbonate in them because nothing happened. Oh well!