Mixed Green Gorgonzola Steak Salad with French Fried Onions and a Red Wine Vinaigrette
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 3 cups mixed greens (radicchio & arugula or just a bag of mixed greens works well)
- 1/2-1 onion french fried onions (there is a recipe for that on my site – easier than you’d think…you can also buy French’s at the store, but fresh is so good)
- 4 oz gorgonzola, coarsely crumbled – Gorgonzola is a blue cheese from Northern Italy. You can substitute it for a different blue cheese if you like.
- red wine vinaigrette – see my recipe and add desired amount
- 1 pound steak (such as New York or filet mignon), pan-fried or grilled – For a pan seared steak, we pat it dry with a paper towel, season with salt and pepper or your favorite seasoning. Heat a pan on medium-high. Once warm, add a couple tablespoons of butter. Put the steak on for 5 minutes per side. Don’t touch it except to flip. Just let it be. Check the temperature. It might need a few more minutes depending on desired doneness. We like it medium rare, so we heat it until the inside reads 140 degrees and then let it rest until it reaches 145 – about 5 minutes.
- salt and pepper for seasoning steak
Red Wine Vinaigrette Recipe
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2-3/4 cup olive oil (I like less)
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
Whisk vinegar, Dijon and seasoning together well. Slowly add olive oil while whisking.
Directions for Making Mixed Green Gorgonzola Steak Salad with French Fried Onions and a Red Wine Vinaigrette
- Toss the salad in the dressing, adding the desired amount of dressing.
- Slice steak and place on top.
- Sprinkle on gorgonzola.
- Top with fried onions.
I hope you really enjoy this Mixed Green Gorgonzola Steak Salad with French Fried Onions and a Red Wine Vinaigrette. It’s super tasty.
This post was originally written in March of 2013. It has been re-vamped with newer images and clearer instructions in December of 2016.