With the winter storms and weather surrounding us, it’s wonderful to come in to a warm cup of cocoa. Homemade hot chocolate is the best, and once you have tried it you’ll never want to go back to the powdered store bought variety. This Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Recipe is a rich and creamy homemade hot cocoa recipe that will warm the heart. The added heart marshmallows make this a fun treat for Valentine’s Day. The hearts can simply add a little love to your homemade drink on any day as well. We love salted caramel around here, and if you do too, you might want to check out my salted caramel cheesecake recipe or my salted caramel frosting perfect for cupcakes or cakes.
This is a rich hot chocolate. You can make it less full-bodied by substituting the cream for milk. If you love a rich and creamy hot chocolate, I don’t think you will be disappointed. I also want to add that any real baker will agree that the quality of ingredients are important. If you truly want a culinary experience, you will want to invest in higher quality cocoa powder and vanilla. I’ve linked to some of my favorites.
This recipe can be a simple homemade hot chocolate recipe if you want to leave out the salted caramel as well.
Ingredients Needed to Make Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Recipe
* Affiliate links provided for your convenience. Anything you purchase through these links helps to support Meaningful Mama and the free resources I provide. Thank you for choosing to support us.
- 4 Tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 4 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 cups Milk (I used 2%), divided
- 1/2 cup Cream
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
How to Make Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Make salted caramel according to the directions found here. Make 1/2 of the recipe provided. You are just making the salted caramel – not the buttercream. Caramel needs to be watched closely so that it does not overcook.
- Add cocoa powder, sugar, salt and 4 Tbsp milk to a separate heavy saucepan and use a whisk to combine.
- Turn heat to med-high and continue whisking until cocoa and sugar are dissolved.
- Whisk in the remaining milk and cream and warm over medium heat. Whisk occasionally until desired temperature. Do not allow to boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Add salted caramel to taste. I used about half of the caramel I made (1/4 of the original recipe), but some might like more or less. With half it gave a mild salted caramel flavor.
I hope this helps warm you up on these cold winter days. Adding a touch of homemade to life also adds a touch of love to those around you. Enjoy!