Panang Curry Recipe
The deep flavors developed in this classic Thai food recipe, Panang Curry, will delight your pallet.
Servings 6 servings
- 1 Tbsp soybean rice bran or vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp Panang curry paste
- 2-3 cups coconut milk divided (use the larger amount for a more mild flavor...it's it's too hot, add more)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 chicken breasts cubed or sliced
- 2 tsp sugar or palm sugar
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 5 kaffir lime leaves crumpled
- 1 fresh thai chile chopped (If you have a sensitive pallet to heat, use half)
- 1/4 cup fresh Thai basil leaves chopped
Stir fry Panang curry paste in hot oil for one minute on medium high heat.
Stir in half of the coconut milk and all of the kaffir lime leaves.
Add the fresh meat and cook for a few minutes.
Add in vegetables (optional…red pepper is great) and cook for a few minutes.
Add the rest of the coconut milk and water. Heat until boiling.
Add the fish sauce, sugar and chopped thai chile. Simmer on medium low heat until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Add in thai basil and continue cooking until basil has just wilted (about one minute). Taste and season as needed.