Homemade Lollipops

Homemade Lollipops

These homemade lollipops are made from broken candy. This has definitely been one of my favorite activities I’ve done with my kids. They loved it too. These lollipops are whimsical and super tasty. I hope you take the opportunity to make these colorful treat with your own family.

Materials Needed to Make Homemade Lollipops

• A Variety of Hard Candies
  • Meat Mallot or Small Hammer
  • Plastic Bags
  • Jelly Roll Pan
  • Silicone Baking Mat or Parchment Paper
  • Sucker Sticks and/or Paper Straws

I bought a bunch of hard candies at the Dollar Store – Dum Dums, Life Savers and Jolly Ranchers. The kids had fun unwrapping them and sorting them into plastic bags based on color.

The next part was my son’s favorite part. Armed with a meat mallet for the girls and a toy hammer for the little guy, they started pounding away. It sounded like a wood shop in our house for a bit, but there were smiles on every face. Make sure to do this activity on a sturdy surface such as a thick bread board.
You will end up with a rainbow of crushed candy, which I sorted in ramekins.
I used a silicone baking mat for the next step, but I imagine you could use parchment paper. We did a variety of designs. It was easiest for the girls to dump the candies in cookie cutter shapes. The more complicated shapes like the pentagon didn’t end up looking like a pentagon. The circle or egg shape worked the best. We also used whole Life Savers to try and create certain designs. Sometimes, we didn’t use the cookie cutter at all and just created our own random shapes. You’ll want to layer your candies about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Also make sure they are spaced 2 inches apart as they spread and you’ll need room to put the sticks in immediately.
Make sure all cookie cutters are removed and then bake at 350 degrees for 5-7 minutes.  After you remove the baking sheet from the oven, quickly attach a lollipop stick (found in the baking section of your local craft store) or paper straw (I had purchased these cute polka dot ones on Etsy) into the base of each melted lollipop shape. Carefully twist the stick to cover the end with the melted candy. If desired, quickly sprinkle on decorative candies or sprinkles onto the hot lollipops. Cool completely, and then peel off the baking sheet to serve.  The bold, whimsical look of these lollipops would add a fun element to any celebration.

I was featured:
homework Toys In The Dryer I Can Teach My Child{nifty button}

Comments

oooh!!! what a great idea!!! and i love that you put sprinkles in them. i think we will make these for all of the kids coming over for easter!!! thanks!

I did a Google image search before I did it and was surprised that it hadn’t been done…at least as far as I could find. There were some homemade lollipops that involved getting sugar to all the right temperatures and stuff. This was a lot more fun. Thanks!

Just to let you know I featured your wonderful lollipops on homework today. Come over and grab a featured button if you’d like. Have a great weekend.

We are so making these while on vacation at the ocean over Easter/Spring break. There will be 9 kids from 20 down to 1 there, 9 of whom are 13 and under. I cannot wait to do this. Thanks Jodi.

These look so fun!! And pretty too- love the picture with all of the crushed candies! Thanks for linking with Scout’s Sweet Sundays!!

These are great! I have a Christmas cookbook from the 80’s that contains directions for making suckers and ornaments using this process. I loved making them when with my pre-kindergarten class when I was in college plus with my boys when they were younger. Thank you for reminding me about them!! I think we will make these when our youngest turns 13! (yeah think early teen boys, meat mallets, and candy!! ha ha!)

Thank you so much for sharing your idea. I am going to try this with my 5 year old grandson. I know we are going to have a blast, making noise, lots of colors, time with each other, and enjoy something sweet. Thank you again.

I babysit in my home, we just made these today, the kids loved it! i just recommend if using wax paper, spray the paper and they come up a lot easier, we used the nonflavor spray. we walked to the store to get more candies to make some more :)thanks for the awesome idea!

I wish you were a babysitter in my neck of the woods. I love that you come up with creative things to do. Great work. I had my suckers down on a silicon mat, so I didn’t have a problem. Your advice is really good though. Thanks for letting me know you tried it. It brings me joy.

Wow, great! That is the idea I needed!
    Though it is something (very) sweet – a lot of sugar it is to enjoy all the work and creativity – might not be the taste that is most important ;-)
    Thank you very much!

Had to click on this one. How fun! All summer – if we’re not in a camp or on vacation – we have a theme for everyday of the week. Monday is our craft day. Wednesday is our Fun in the Kitchen day. Loving your ideas!

I absolutely love these! Will be making these with my kids for sure :) I can totally see these as party favors or holiday themed!
    Melissa @ WillametteValleyWonderWoman.blogspot.com

11. Sara Sanford says

I just did these with the kids on our snow day. They turned out so great! my son had been asking to make suckers for a very long time but I was never comfortable with the recipes I had and using a candy thermometer. This was so easy and they were able to do it all by themselves. love it!

What a fun report. The ease is what I love about them too – no candy thermometer needed. It’s really great to hear about your experience. Thank you for that!

1. […] Halloween is over, and you might have some extra candy around the house. If you have Lifesavers, I think you are going to love the simplicity, fun and tastiness of this activity. These DIY Lifesaver lollipops will be a hit with your kids. Even if you don’t have Lifesavers on hand right now, I believe you are going to want to run out to the store and buy some. This activity is based on a variation of the homemade lollipops we have made before. […]