Day #88 Tip – Ten Ways to Calm an Angry Child
These ten ways to calm an angry child are ways that kids can deal with their anger in healthy ways. A lot of these solutions give children a physical outlet for some of the feelings that are bottling up inside them. Children can experience anger for a variety of reason. The first thing to analyze is your home. Is your home a healthy environment or is there a lot of stress they are experiencing because of things going on within your family? How can you help fix the turmoil that might be going on around them? What are you modeling? Do you handle things in anger? Try and work on that too. If you have evaluated their environment (home, childcare, school, etc.), don’t be baffled by your children’s behavior. There are all kinds of personalities in this world, and some just run hot, so we need to help them learn how to help them navigate this behavior in healthy ways. Further, younger kids often lash out in anger because they are frustrated that they don’t have the words to express what is going on inside of them. Sometimes what appears as “anger” is actually a deep frustration in wanting to do something, perform well, communicate better or understand their world more. This is a very natural part of a child’s development process. It takes patience and training from a parent to know how to help your kids learn to deal with their emotions. Below I have listed a number of tools that should help you and your child deal with anger.
1. Have them fold their hands…proven to relax a child.
2. Hold them close or have them put heavy covers on their bodies. The pressure on their bodies is calming.
3. Have them blow bubbles. This teaches taking deep breathes, which are soothing.
4. Have them punch a punching bag or a pillow.
5. Give them old paper and have them shred paper into a recycle bin.
6. Let them write a letter about their anger.
7. Encourage them to draw a picture about their angry feelings.
8. Have them shoot hoops.
9. Have them run around the house outside.
10. Give them a warm bath.