Here are DIY Modern Advent “Wreath” with Mason Jars that are easy to create and meaningful to do with your family over the advent season. I came up with the idea a few years back after searching online for an updated version on a typical wreath. Coming up empty handed, I decided to create my own idea. Here are 35 more Christ-centered Christmas ideas for those who are seeking to keep Jesus at the center of this season.
* Affiliate links provided for your convenience. Anything you purchase through these links helps to support Meaningful Mama and the free resources I provide. Thank you for choosing to support us.
When I looked up modern advent wreathes a few years ago, I found nothing that I liked. I decided to peek to see if there are any sleek looking ones on the market today. I was happy to see there are more contemporary advent options available now. This advent wreath tray is unique and beautiful. I like this Journey to Bethlehem advent wreath. This hope, joy, peace, love advent wreath is pretty too. All that said, I still love these mason jars, so I will be sticking with this idea this season.
DIY Modern Advent “Wreath” with Mason Jars
Growing up, the advent tradition was practiced in our church, and I loved it. Each Sunday a family would go up front and light the wreath and say scripture that related to the candle. It became a time of reflection of the hope of the Christmas season – that the Savior was sent into the world so that we might be delivered from our sins. There is no greater love than that.
What the Advent Candles Represent & Scripture to Go Along with Them
Week 1: HOPE
“May the God of HOPE fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with HOPE by the power of the Holy Spirit.” ~ Romans 5:13
Week 2: PEACE
“Glory to God in the highest, and on earth PEACE, good will toward men.” ~ Luke 2:14
Week 3: JOY
“But the angel said to them, ‘Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great JOY for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; He is the Messiah, the Lord.'” ~ Luke 2:10-11
Week 4: LOVE
“For God so LOVED the world that he sent his only son that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life.” ~ John 3:16
Materials Needed to Make DIY Modern Advent “Wreath” with Mason Jars
- Tea Lights
- Free DIY Modern Advent “Wreath” with Mason Jars Printable
- Double Stick Tape
How to Make DIY Modern Advent “Wreath” with Mason Jars
- Print out this free printable.
- Set the outer mason jar lid centered over the hope printable. Trace a circle around the lid. Cut this out. Repeat for peace, joy and love.
- Either find something you can trace that will draw a circle around the verse or cut out the verse free hand, adding a slight border. I used a cookie cutter. Cut out each verse.
- On the inside of the mason jar lid, use double stick tape to add the verse.
- On the outside of the lid, use double stick tape to add the words hope, peace, joy and love, making sure the verse and word line up accordingly.
- Fill each of your mason jars with about 1/2 cup rock salt.
- Add a tea light to each jar.
- Each week of advent, remove the lid, read the verse and light the candle.
This is a great time to discuss the verses and talk through the hope, peace, joy and love we have because of the arrival of our conquering Messiah and King. There is hardship and evil around us, but the hope is that Jesus already has overcome. He wiped away our sins. He will return to wipe away every tear. There will be no more pain or suffering. Good will triumph. Hallelujah!