We are headed into cold and flu season, and I don’t know about you, but I know that I want to spend less time in the doctor’s office and have fewer missed school days. Today I want to explore natural sore throat remedies as well as some preventative options to keep you out of the doctor’s office. This saves you money, and keeps your kids away from being exposed to other potential illnesses while at the doctor’s office. Many childhood illnesses start with a sore throat, 90% of which are viral (a.k.a. “the common child). I definitely believe there is time for western medicine and doctor visits, but I would rather approach things naturally and preventatively before making an appointment with a physician. I’m going to also introduce you to a new tool called “SayAhh!” that will help you make the decision as to whether a doctor visit is necessary.
How to Prevent a Sore Throat
Preventing a soar throat is the best way to keep your kids healthy. There are external methods you can take like washing hands, covering your mouth with the inside nook of your elbow, keeping the house or school desks sanitary or not sharing food and drink. Those are all obvious things to consider, but there are other ways to keep your body healthy from the inside.
- Probiotics – I have had more friends and family tell me that they added probiotics to their routine and have had amazing results with how much healthier their family remained while others were getting sick around them. We recently added probiotics as a gut repair for my daughter, and I’m glad that this has become a part of our diets. Our naturopath highly recommends probiotics, and it is especially important if your child needs to be on antibiotics.
- Drink Lots of Water – Water is always recommended for keeping us strong and healthy. Keep a nice water bottle with you and your kids at all times.
- Eat Foods with Phytochemicals – Dark green, red and yellow vegetables and fruits contain a high amount of vitamins that will give your body the boost it needs to survive flu season.
- Eat Mushrooms – Many mushrooms like shiitake, maitake, and reishi help build up the immune system to keep you healthy.
- Consume Ginseng – Add this to boiling water to make a tea, and you will find it as a natural defense against respiratory illnesses.
- Wellness Fizz – Wellness Fizz is a more natural option than Airborne or Emergen-C, but it is the same concept. It gives a boost of vitamins and minerals that you can take as you feel sickness coming on. It helps enhance a bodies natural defense against sickness.
How to Check a Sore Throat – Doctor Time?
You’ve done all you can to be preventative, but a sore throat seems to still plague your family. How do you make the challenging decision whether to stay home and find natural remedies or head into the doctor for a check? SayAhh! Sore Throat Home Exam Aid has a solution and guide to help make the choice easier. I am that mom that has had an otoscope in my arsenal so I can look into my kids ears to help determine if we need to run to the doctor to check ears. I love that there is now an easier solution for the throat. The scientifically-designed, patented tongue depressor was designed to minimize the gag reflex. The kit comes with a small flashlight, the tongue depressor and medical grade illustrations and descriptions of six common childhood throat ailments (strep throat, coxsackie, mononucleosis, yeast thrust, etc.) It also provides a drawing of a normal throat so you can have a solid basis for comparison. It is safe for kids six years and older. Save $1.00 on your purchase of the new SayAhh! Sore Throat Home Exam Aid with my special promo code “mom426”. Purchase online at http://sayahh.com/purchase.html. Now through September 18, 2015, enter theSayAhh! Cold Season Survival Stash Sweepstakes for the chance to win a $25 American Express gift card to stock up on cold/flu supplies. Fifteen winners will be randomly selected on September 18, 2015. AND AS A BONUS… if the SayAhh! Facebook Page reaches 1,500 FAN LIKES by the time the giveaway ends, we’ll prize a $200 American Express gift card to an additional (1) Grand Prize Winner! Learn more about the new SayAhh! Sore Throat Home Exam Aid at www.SayAhh.com. SayAhh! is a great addition to your medicine cabinet, and it will help you decide whether to head on into the doctor or naturally treat sore throats at home. Again, I am not opposed to modern medicine at the right time, but I do know there are more homeopathic options that may be better for your family.
How to Naturally Treat a Sore Throat
- Thieves Essential Oils with Tea – When I was researching to write this post, I asked my friend Stefanie of www.simpleacresblog.com for some ideas. She is a registered dietician and a wealth of knowledge. Head on over to the link to find out the recipe and more about the benefits of this essential oil and why it helps maintain wellness.
- Chicken Noodles Soup – I must, must get my chicken noodle soup recipe on the blog. I will make it and share it soon; I promise. It is an amazing homemade recipe. Chicken noodle soup eases the inflammation of throat cells that can cause cold symptoms. Try and stick with homemade or more natural soup recipes.
- Honey Lemon Homemade Lollipops – What a kid friendly presentation that helps fight sickness naturally. I must try these this year. The recipe and idea comes from Our Homemade Life. Make sure to click on the link for the recipe.
- Homemade Herbal Cough Drops and Lozenges – Visit the Wellness Mama to get her natural recepe for homemade herbal cough drops and lozenges. Look for more natural options in the store as well.
- Ginger – “Ginger contains chemicals known as sesquiterpenes that specifically fight rhinoviruses, the leading cause of the common cold.” – Mother Earth News. You can simply boil ginger in water to make yourself a nice tea.
- Saltwater Gargle – Gargling salt water can reduce inflammation caused my soar throats. It wouldn’t be my first option due to the taste and experience, but when you want relief, this might be a great option for you. Dissolve 1/2 tsp salt in a cup of water.
Whether you are trying to prevent sickness, determine if going to the doctor is the right solution or trying to find natural sore throat remedies, I’ve got you covered. I hope you can steer clear of ailments this winter. Now through November 1st, get free shipping when you purchase the new SayAhh! Sore Throat Home Exam Aid online at http://sayahh.com/purchase.html! This is a product-provided, sponsored conversation that contains affiliate links. All opinions, text and experiences are my own.