There are not many more foods more universally comforting than some form of chicken noodle soup. Today I want to show you how to make an Amazing Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup that has been eaten over and over in our family. This recipe makes a ton of soup, so I often like to make it when I’m taking a meal to a family with a new baby or who is in the midst of family crisis. You can also just surprise a friend or neighbor with a meal.
I learned to make this soup from scratch when my family bought cooking lessons at an auction. A chef came into my sister’s home, and he taught us a number of basics. We discussed and practiced knife skills, how to break down a chicken, how to make a mirepoix and many other cooking concepts. He showed us this soup recipe, but kinda just dumped things in as chefs do. I have experimented with proportions, and this Amazing Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup recipe is the best. It has dill, which I’m not usually a huge fan of, but I absolutely love it in this recipe.
Chicken Hack: Although he did teach us how to break down a chicken, let me tell you something I recently figured out. You may know this, or this may be an ah-ha moment that you can thank me for later. I recently grabbed a whole chicken at the grocery store (Safeway specifically) and went up to the butcher and asked if they could break it down for me. They said sure. Yes?! Who knew? I absolutely love that they’ll do that for me, and I ask them to do it when making my soup or my easy Honey Mustard Chicken recipe. What a time saver. I do love being in the kitchen, but I still don’t love breaking down chicken.
Ingredients Needed to Make the Amazing Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Whole Chicken, Cut into Pieces
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Cup White Wine – Chardonnay
- 18 cups Chicken Broth Made from the Left Over Parts. You can make a simple stock or a stock with more ingredients like this one I used from Jamie Oliver.
- 2 Carrots, sliced on bias and then cut into julienne strips (2″ long, 1/8″ round)
- 2 Stalks Celery, cut on bias
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 Tbsp Salt
- Pepper to Taste
- 1 tsp Dill Weed
- 1 – 16 oz Package of Rotini
How to Make the Amazing Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Make chicken broth. If you don’t want to make homemade broth you can use purchased stock or stock made from bullion cubes.
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in skillet on medium high heat. Put thigh, legs, breasts and wings in the skillet.
- Season with salt and pepper. Brown chicken in olive oil. Do not fully cook.
- Put chicken into a baking dish. Pour 1 cup Chardonnay over the chicken and bake at 425 of 20 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions set aside.
- Add 2 Tbsp of oil to the bottom of a large soup pan. Sweat vegetables in pan, which basically means to heat, stirring frequently, until just tender. You do not want to brown them.
- Add stock to vegetables and bring to a simmer.
- Add 2 Tbsp salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 1 tsp dill weed.
- Cut up cooked chicken and add to vegetables. Add pasta. The pasta soaks up seasoning so taste and see if you want to add more at this point.
- Simmer for 5 minutes and serve.
I hope this recipe not only blesses your family, but that you will share your abundance of soup with those around you.
Easy and tasty recipe. Should definitely try this.
Thanks. It’s a favorite!