There are not many more foods more universally comforting than some form of chicken noodle soup. Today I want to show you how to make an Amazing Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup that has been eaten over and over in our family. This recipe makes a ton of soup, so I often like to make it when I’m taking a meal to a family with a new baby or who is in the midst of family crisis. You can also just surprise a friend or neighbor with a meal.
I learned to make this soup from scratch when my family bought cooking lessons at an auction. A chef came into my sister’s home, and he taught us a number of basics. We discussed and practiced knife skills, how to break down a chicken, how to make a mirepoix and many other cooking concepts. He showed us this soup recipe, but kinda just dumped things in as chefs do. I have experimented with proportions, and this Amazing Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup recipe is the best. It has dill, which I’m not usually a huge fan of, but I absolutely love it in this recipe.
Chicken Hack: Although he did teach us how to break down a chicken, let me tell you something I recently figured out. You may know this, or this may be an ah-ha moment that you can thank me for later. I recently grabbed a whole chicken at the grocery store (Safeway specifically) and went up to the butcher and asked if they could break it down for me. They said sure. Yes?! Who knew? I absolutely love that they’ll do that for me, and I ask them to do it when making my soup or my easy Honey Mustard Chicken recipe. What a time saver. I do love being in the kitchen, but I still don’t love breaking down chicken.
Ingredients Needed to Make the Amazing Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Whole Chicken, Cut into Pieces
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Cup White Wine – Chardonnay
- 18 cups Chicken Broth Made from the Left Over Parts. You can make a simple stock or a stock with more ingredients like this one I used from Jamie Oliver.
- 2 Carrots, sliced on bias and then cut into julienne strips (2″ long, 1/8″ round)
- 2 Stalks Celery, cut on bias
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 Tbsp Salt
- Pepper to Taste
- 1 tsp Dill Weed
- 1 – 16 oz Package of Rotini
How to Make the Amazing Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Make chicken broth. If you don’t want to make homemade broth you can use purchased stock or stock made from bullion cubes.
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in skillet on medium high heat. Put thigh, legs, breasts and wings in the skillet.
- Season with salt and pepper. Brown chicken in olive oil. Do not fully cook.
- Put chicken into a baking dish. Pour 1 cup Chardonnay over the chicken and bake at 425 of 20 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions set aside.
- Add 2 Tbsp of oil to the bottom of a large soup pan. Sweat vegetables in pan, which basically means to heat, stirring frequently, until just tender. You do not want to brown them.
- Add stock to vegetables and bring to a simmer.
- Add 2 Tbsp salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 1 tsp dill weed.
- Cut up cooked chicken and add to vegetables. Add pasta. The pasta soaks up seasoning so taste and see if you want to add more at this point.
- Simmer for 5 minutes and serve.
I hope this recipe not only blesses your family, but that you will share your abundance of soup with those around you.