so it took a while to get through the desserts and the other regular blog content. Here are the final results of my black and cream dessert baby shower. A dear friend is having a baby any moment now. She could be going into labor as I type. I offered to throw her a shower, and what better way to celebrate a new baby than with sweets? Get it?…babies are sweet. I love it when my friends offer up unique concepts for a baby shower. I have done a pink baby shower cocktail party with its own twists. My animal print Noah’s Ark shower was another unique one. So, I was thrilled when the mom-to-be showed me her diaper bag and fabric choice for the nursery:
- Make sure you understand their style and colors when purchasing gifts. People have different styles. Your style may not be bad, but it may not match the mother’s style at all. If in doubt, refrain from buying something that might be a personal preference like clothes (I know we all want to do it) and decor.
- Buy off the registry. I do know it might seem boring to buy sheets or wash cloths they have chosen, but that’s what they need. They have picked it out specifically. They often can’t afford to buy some of those basics. Please shop off the registry. New moms really appreciate it.
- Blankets are over done. I received so many blankets, and I see it at every shower. They’re beautiful. Sometimes they are hand made. My aunt made me a beautiful one that became a staple. So did my husband’s grandma. There was another that was well loved, but then I seriously was give 10 more. I felt bad if they are homemade, and I can’t use them. I didn’t know what to do with all the receiving blankets. You feel guilty not using all those blankets, but you also feel bad getting rid of them. Again, shopping from the registry will help with that.
- Just a personal opinion, and I’m sorry if I offend someone, but I really do believe a baby book is a really personal thing that a mom wants to pick out on her own. She may register for it. She may not, but I would let it be her choice to be on the safe side.
- Include a gift receipt. Are you dying to pick out something on your own? Make sure to include a gift receipt so that if it is not the mom’s personal style, they can exchange it. Don’t feel offended if you never see it on the baby. They really do appreciate the efforts.