What goes better with red velvet cupcakes than cream cheese frosting? We made some red velvet cupcakes, so you get my favorite frosting recipe to pair with it. It is adapted slightly from my Oreo Cream Cheese Frosting recipe. It amazing and is the type of frosting you want to squeeze straight from the pastry bag into your mouth. Not that I’ve ever done that! Not that I did that just before I started typing this post!
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz package of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 C butter, room temperature
- 3-4 C sifted powdered sugar (I like about 3 1/2 cups for my desired thickness and sweetness)
- 1 t vanilla extract
- Whip cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
- Mix in powdered sugar one cup at a time.
- Add vanilla extract.