We all want to find something unique and special for the loved ones in our lives. I have a creative gift giving idea that gives more than providing another thing to fill our homes. I am gifting experiences this year. Yes, I will also be giving some things, but I am more excited about the memories I get to be part of creating for my family and friends. You may have seen the DIY snow globes. I was able to make for my sisters and mom to gift a truffle making class. Today, I am showing you how I gifted a helicopter flying experience to my husband.
The fun with this gift not only comes in the future experience to be had by the receiver, it also comes in presenting your gift in a unique and creative way.
To find my gift, I headed over to Groupon. They have so many unique ideas for not only things to do in your area and around the world, but they also have traditional gifts you can buy at great discounts. This helicopter flying experience was a no-brainer for my husband. He has always wanted to learn how to fly, and helicopters are definitely an interest. Also, the opportunity to fly a helicopter and receive basic flight instructions was less expensive than I thought. That’s another great thing about Groupon. You get great deals on the things you enjoy most.
Once I had purchased the Groupon, I wanted to make sure I found a really fun way of giving the gift to my husband. I decided to sandwich two pieces of wood together with screws and have the Groupon gift hidden between the wood pieces. I turned this little package into a helipad and presented it with a toy helicopter and screw driver.
Materials Needed to Make a Helicopter Gift Giving Experience
- 2 – 6×6 inch wooden squares
- gray and yellow paint
- paint brush or sponge
- white paper
- glue dots or double stick tape
- 4 – screws, slightly smaller than the width of the two wooden squares stacked
- screw driver
- toy helicopter
- paint template – My template had an interesting square design, but a circle template would work well too.
- Groupon certificate printed out
How to Make a Creative Gift Giving Idea for a Helicopter Experience
- I purchased two 6 x 6 inch wooden squares at my local craft store. You could also make these by cutting wood to size. My son then painted one side and the edge of each piece of wood gray.
- Using a template, paint a yellow square or circle centered on your board
- Cut out a paper H or paint one on with white paint. Attach it to the center of the helipad with glue dots or double stick tape.
- Print out your Groupon experience and fold so that it is small enough to fit sandwiched in between two boards.
- Screw your pieces together in each corner. You may want to pre-drill holes because failing to do that might cause splitting in the wood…see below. Oops.
My helipad Groupon gift was assembled, and I was so excited to show it to my husband. He’s a total guy…loves tools, machines and anything thing flies, so he thought this gift – in both presentation and the contents – was super cool. He opened it up, and it was time to get the helicopter flying lessons on the calendar.
I wanted to make sure that you were able to see the fruits of gifting an experience, so I have added some pictures of his flying experience. Of course, I was only on the ground, so I couldn’t document the whole thing. He and his co-pilot were too busy flying to take pictures from the air. However, he assured me it was pretty amazing. It was fun to see his giddy smile after he had his experience. Check one of the bucket list. Fly a helicopter. Check. I hope you will find a way to create some amazing life experiences for the people on your list. Groupon can help you on your path.