These black and white DIY volleyball locker decorations will help celebrate all of the hard work your kids are putting into their volleyball season. There’s also a surprise on that back that will provide joy to the players.
These DIY volleyball locker decorations can also go home with the kids at the end of the season, becoming a room or door decoration. I chose a clean, modern and sleek black and white design, which could easily be embellished with ribbons of the team color.
There is an energy and excitement that naturally comes around sports. Enhancing that energy with decoration only adds to the enthusiasm around the sport.
DIY Volleyball Locker Decorations
All materials you need can be found on Amazon. I did find the plywood circles, black paper and spray adhesive at Hobby Lobby. However, I did need to visit two Hobby Lobby stores and then still buy the paper volleyballs on Amazon.
I celebrate shopping locally, but Amazon is a great place for convenience.
I like using spray adhesive because it is super easy and the finish is very nice. With traditional glues you have more potential for gaping sides or bubbling. I have used spray adhesive for transforming composition books into beautiful journals.
Materials Needed to Make DIY Volleyball Locker Decorations
- 6 1/2 inch wooden craft circles
- 12 x 12 inch black stock paper
- 5 1/2 inch paper volleyballs
- Spray Adhesive
- Volleyball Ribbon
- Hot Glue
- Exacto Knife
- Paper Cutter
- Cricut or 3.5″ Large Letter Stickers (couldn’t find any on Amazon)
- Optional for Back: Pop Rocks, Sharpie and Glue Dots
Note on Pop Rocks: I am not sure these are sold many places anymore. I went to Target, Walmart, 7-11, a local corner market, and I finally found them at the Dollar Tree. Affiliate links to Amazon for your convenience.
Bump, Set, Spike – Volleyball – Decorations DIY Baby Shower or Birthday Party Essentials – Set of 2010 Pcs, Wooden Circles / Sign 6-1/2Volleyball Ribbon for Crafts – Q-YO 3/8Krylon K07020007 10.25-Ounce Easy Tack Repositionable Adhesive Spray
How to Make DIY Volleyball Locker Decorations
- If you are using 12 x 12 inch black stock paper, you will be able to fit two 6.5 inch circles on the paper. I placed the wooden circles on the paper to determine where to make my cuts.
2. Cut the first one, and and then use it as a template to cut out the others. Using a sliding paper cutter and stacking several sheets of paper at a time make this quick work. If working with a Cricut, keep the scrap corners for cutting out your letters.
3. Working outside for ventilation and setting up a protected surface, I began spraying my wooden circles. Spray adhesive directly onto the wood and then gently place the wooden circle on the black stock paper.
4. The next step is to use an Exacto knife to trim off the excess black paper around the circle. Make sure to have some sort of mat or cutting board underneath to protect your surface.
5. In a well-ventilated area, use spray adhesive to attach volleyball paper circles. Spray on back of volleyball and press on top of covered wooden circle.
6. Cut ribbon. We cut each ribbon with seven volleyballs on it. Two of the volleyballs have hot glue on them and are attached to the back. As you can see, there is one volleyball centered for hanging and two revealed on either side.
7. Cut out 3.5 inch black letters on your Cricut – one letter for the first name of the first daughter on your team. I could not find any 3.5 inch black letters on Amazon, but you could visit your local stores to find something that would work.
8. Using spray adhesive, attach the letters to the center of the volleyball. Spray the back of the letter and then press on paper volleyball.
9. Totally optional but super fun is to secretly attach Pop Rocks to the back with the message, “You Rock.” I wrote this message in Sharpie and attached the Pop Rocks to the back of the DIY Volleyball Locker Decorations with glue dots.
The girls lockers were decorated with a sharp looking volleyball decoration to celebrate all of their accomplishments and hard work. These were attached to the lockers using magnets.
Hope your kids have a fabulous volleyball season!