This fun nativity scene craft for kids comes with a free printable, making it an easy activity for kids this Christmas. It is a nativity coloring sheet that becomes 3-D when taped together.
Want another great nativity craft for kids? Check out my cute nativity handprint craft.
Nativity Scene Craft for Kids
Note: The following post contains Amazon Affiliate links. Anything you purchase through these links goes to support the free resources I provide at Meaningful Mama. Thank you for your support.
As Christmas approaches, you may be seeking out intentional ways to engage with your kids about the true meaning of Christmas. Focusing on the real reason for the season is so important because it is easy for kids to get caught up in the treats, gifts, and traditions. While all those things can be fun and good, it is always important to bring them back to the real story.
The real story is that Jesus, the Messiah and creator of this world, came to earth. Being truly God, He took on the form of a servant and became truly man.
He was born to a virgin, in a miraculous way, and went on to continue a life of miracles and teaching.
Why did He do this? He came to not only teach us about God and bring us the fulfillment of what the law and the prophets said about the Messiah, but He came to eventually die for our sins. Yes, He died, but on the third day, He rose again so that we might have a living Messiah.
Having trouble believing this? Why not start here for a free and simple read? Want to dive deeper? You can try the Case for Christmas or the Case for Christ by Lee Strobel. Are you a curious skeptic looking for an even deeper dive into the topic? I get it. I’ve been there too. Why not try Evidence that Demands a Verdict?
Already believe? Let’s work on getting your kids there too with this great nativity craft with free nativity coloring sheet printable.
Materials Needed to Make this Nativity Scene Craft for Kids
- Free Printable Nativity Scene Coloring Sheet
- Markers, Crayons, or Colored Pencils (I’ve linked to my favorite markers and colored pencils if you want to take your art to the next level. I know they are expensive, but they are so good and blend well! You might not want to share them with your kids though.)
- White Stock Paper – You can use normal printer paper also, I just like how sturdy it is with the stock paper. They will be fun for your kids to play with all season long.
- Tape or Glue – I prefer tape because you don’t need to hold it and wait for it to dry. If you do use glue, you could always use paper clips to hold it in place until try.
How to Make this Nativity Scene Craft for Kids
- Download and print out my free nativity coloring sheet printable (see the link above).
- Have kids color in all of the people, animals, and the barn setting. Sit alongside them and color together. You can talk about all the people involved in the scene they are coloring. An interesting fact is that when the wise men visited Jesus and brought him gifts is not quite known. You can read about that here. While the wise men may not have been in the nativity scene, it is still an opportunity to talk about their involvement in honoring the King of Kings.
- After coloring, cut out the nativity characters. This does not need to be done perfectly. Younger kids may need help with this process. I wanted to make this nativity craft accessible for preschool kids, kindergarten kids, and beyond. That said, not all kids will be able to do all of the cutting. Children of any age can do the coloring though.
- Once cut, roll the nativity characters into a cone and tape or glue them in place.
- Set up your DIY Nativity Scene.
Kids can use this nativity scene to recreate the Christmas story found in Luke 2 and Matthew 1 & 2.
I hope this nativity coloring sheet and craft helps you celebrate the hope we have in this baby King that came to the earth to take away the sins of the world.
Blessings on your family this Christmas season.
Video Tutorial for Nativity Craft
Want more Nativity Scene Crafts and Coloring Sheets for Kids?
Nativity Coloring Sheets – Get your free nativity coloring sheets here.
Stained Glass Nativity Craft – This beautiful craft is perfect for the Christmas season. This activity also comes with a free printable featuring the silhouette of the nativity scene.
Nativity Craft Using Popsicle Sticks – Here’s a sweet nativity craft to do with kids of all ages. This will be a keepsake.