It’s countdown to Christmas time, and if you are looking for a simple, inexpensive and last minute craft to do, I think you and your kids will have a lot of fun creating this popsicle stick Christmas tree craft. My kids loved making them, and they are now hanging on the wall as part of our own Christmas decorations. If you are looking for other Christmas tree craft ideas, I think you might enjoy our fingerprint Christmas trees and my other popsicle stick Christmas tree craft.
Materials Needed to Make the Popsicle Stick Christmas Tree Craft
- Short Popsicle Sticks *affiliate link (I get mine free from Craft Project Ideas. I know they sell their products at Walmart)
- Brown Crayon or Colored Pencil
- Green Craft Paint
- Card Stock
Directions for Making the Popsicle Stick Christmas Tree Craft
- Paint popsicle sticks green. You’ll see a couple different colors of green in this tutorial because I had two different kids working with two green color choices.
- Let kids arrange popsicle sticks so it looks like the shape of a tree.
- Start at the top and remove one popsicle stick. Add glue to the back.
- Return stick to the original placement in the tree. Continue until every stick is glued to the paper.
- Once all of the sticks are glued in place, children can begin adding dots of glue and buttons on top of their creation.
- Add a large yellow button to represent the star.
- Color on a trunk with a brown crayon or colored pencil.
This Christmas tree craft is great for preschool age kids and up. My 4 and 5 year old both did this. I needed to help them arrange the sticks a little bit, but the rest they were able to do completely on their own. It was great practice for their fine motor skills, and they had a lot of fun creating. It is wonderful to have their Christmas trees on display to make the house a bit more festive this year.