Week #7 Character Development – Obedience, Day #46

Obedience
“Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.” – Luke 11:28
 Today we had a lot of fun talking about warning signs.  I adapted this activity from Children’s Sunday School Activities.  It is the place where I got the printable for the signs as well.  I decided to put my signs on Popsicle sticks.

I held up warning signs as we went through each activity.  They were first suppose to obey and see how things went smoothly and then disobey the signs to see how the results were negative.
This first activity was for the curvy road sign.  When they ignored the sign, the road we worked so hard to build had been destroyed.
For our stop and yield signs, we had an accident when we didn’t obey the warnings.
For the hazard, poison, and keep out of the reach of children signs, we had people rushed to the hospital because people they didn’t obey the warning signs.
For the railroad crossing, they got mauled by the train (me tackling and tickling) when they didn’t pay attention to the warning sign.
We ended this fun activity talking about how when you obey, things go better.  Disobeying only causes hurt and pain.  We related this to both why we would obey God and your parents.

Comments

oh, I love those little signs! I’ve been in the process of trying to find things for my 2nd grader (yes, he’s a boy and always in trouble!) so that the teacher does not have to continuously call him down. We had made stop sign cards for her just to put on his desk, but these little signs are great, too! Thanks for the idea…I’m from the Mommy Club hop.

Cool. Thanks so much for stopping by. I’m doing a whole series on character development, so I hope you’ll be back. Training these little ones is tough work.

Hi! I saw this linked at I Can Teach My Child. It’s a great idea and I love how you made it into a fun hands-on activity. I’ve pinned it so I can come back and use it later when my grandson is old enough. Thanks!

Just found your blog today looking for stick figure puppets. This is such a good idea — 365 days of being intentional. I will be back!!!! I love it!!

Lindsey @ GrowingKidsMinistry.com

4. julie says

I love this idea! When my son was younger I used great big Stop and Go signs from the parent teacher store. I put them on paint sticks and we played outside stop and go. Whichever sign was up was what the others had to do. It was fun but to him the best twist was that he got to hold the signs for us, his parents! He got a turn at being sign master! Now that was a thrill for a toddler to “control” his parents! It was a fun game for us too but it was on purpose and teaching him self control – to stop his body and hold still until the Go sign was lifted again. It was a very functional and fun game! Your game is so great because it shows such value in the signs and obeying the rules. Love that too. Simon says and Mother May I also are great self control games that help the children translate words they hear in to actions they do. That is a skill and must be taught just like self control to stop what one is doing when one is told. Excellent ideas here for that!

Thank you so much for the sweet comment. You are right – Simon Says and Mother May I fabulous. I actually have a post about that – Great minds. :-)