I love red velvet cake, and I was in charge of making a graduation cake for a family that REALLY love red velvet cake. This perfect red velvet cake recipe is a keeper, and one that you will want to have in your cake making arsenal.
Red Velvet Cake
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
*I make my own.
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp red dye
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder in one bowl.
- Mix all the wet ingredients in another bowl.
- Mix the two bowls together.
- Bake at 350 until cooked or a toothpick comes out dry.
- I did two 10 inch pans today, and it took about 50 minutes. I would bake it for a normal cake recipe time (30-35 minutes) and then watch carefully from there.
I make my own buttermilk. It seems more moist when I do it that way. I am sorry for those instructions. I got this recipe from a friend who also does a lot of cakes. I have made it a few times but never wrote down the time.
I had my little helpers along, of course – Abby, Kenzie and their cousin, Elena, who is staying with us for a few days.