This mosaic heart Valentine’s Day craft is easy and adorable for kids of all ages. The addition of your child’s face make it a special DIY craft or card to give to parents or grandparents for Valentine’s Day.
It’s so fun to do special Valentine’s Day crafts with kids. I have many crafts and free card printables for this holiday that you can find here. Let me highlight my secret message heart craft because it’s one of my favorites.
Mosaic Heart Valentine’s Day Craft
The materials are inexpensive and often things you already have on hand, so making this a great Valentine’s Day craft to do in classrooms. If you cut out a Bible verse to glue on the heart, this transforms into a Valentine’s Day Sunday school craft.
Materials Need to Make this Mosaic Heart Valentine’s Day Craft
Amazon affiliate links provided for you convenience. Anything you purchase through these links help support the free resources I have available at Meaningful Mama. Thank you for supporting what I do.
- Paper in Reds, Pinks and Purples – Alternatively, you could use tissue paper or crepe paper
- Free Heart Outline Printable – found here. Print at 100% on heavy cards stock.
- White Glue
- Paper in Skin Tones – Make sure you represent all the beautiful tones that your family or classroom represent.
- A photo of your child’s face and upper torso, printed on heavy stock paper. Face should be sized at about 3.5 inches tall.
- White Paper Plate
For Your Convenience, Here are Shopping Amazon Affiliate links for Everything You’d Need:
Tru-Ray Heavyweight Construction Paper, Warm Assorted Colors,12Neenah Exact Index, 110 lb, 8.5 x 11 Inches, 250 Sheets, White, 94 BrightnessElmer’s Liquid School Glue, White, Washable, 16 Ounces – Great for Making SlimeScissors, Niutop 8
How to Make a Mosaic Heart Craft for Valentine’s Day
Note: Kids of all ages can do the ripping and gluing. Tissue paper is easier for small kids to rip. If using tissue paper, use less glue. A glue stick would work best for tissue paper. If working with younger kids, adults will want to do the cutting of the heart and the faces.
- Print out the free heart outline printable on heavy, white stock paper.
- Rip colored paper into small pieces.
- Add glue to the heart in small sections. Place the colored paper on the heart. Encourage kids to vary the paper color to give a nice mosaic look.
- Continue gluing and sticking until the entire heart is filled.
- Press paper plate onto the heart to flatten the paper a bit. I wouldn’t do this step if you are using tissue paper.
- Allow to dry completely before cutting to avoid sticky scissors.
- While drying, cut out face of child. Cut around the head, and leave part of the torso you have a place to glue down.
- Cut out the hands to match the skin tone of your child. You will want to cut the hands about two inches long. Just fold the paper in half and cut two at a time.
- Once dry, cut out heart. Glue face on top. Then, glue hands on the sides. The hands will be glued at the wrist on the back side of the heart. Wrap the hands and glue the tips of the hands down on the front. Put paper clips on hands to hold in place until dry.
- For a full visual tutorial, see video below