It’s fun to celebrate the fall season by doing some crafts with the little ones in your life. This scarecrow paper craft for kids is an adorable piece of art to both create and display. This scarecrow’s face is a made out of a pinwheel. I have given you a tutorial for how to make a paper pinwheel here, and that will come in handy as we move forward.
* Affiliate links provided for your convenience. Anything you purchase through these links helps to support Meaningful Mama and the free resources I provide. Thank you for choosing to support us.
Materials Needed to Make a Scarecrow Paper Craft for Kids
- Brown Stock Paper – 3 pieces per scarecrow
- Scissors or Paper Cutter
- Hot Glue
- White Glue
- Large Craft Google Eyes
- Orange, Yellow, Green or Red Construction Paper
- Pipe Cleaner (optional)
How to Make a Scarecrow Paper Craft for Kids
Follow the instructions here to create a pinwheel. We cut down our brown 8.5 x 11 paper into a 8.5″ x 8.5″ square. I originally tried to use double stick tape to attach it, but I should have used hot glue as suggested in my original post. The double stick tape did not work well. We also used three folded squares attached together to make it work better.
- Cut out the free scarecrow hat template found here.
- Have kids trace the hat template onto a fall paper color of their choice. Cut it out.
- Cut raffia to the length of scarecrow hair desired. You will only need two little stacks for either side of the hat.
- Glue down raffia by making a pile of glue on both sides of the pinwheel. You can lay down your hat as a guide to where the hair should go. It will be a mess and glue will be dripping down the cracks. Just know that the white glue will dry and the raffia will stick. You just don’t want to mess with it much.
- Add glue across the top where the hat should sit. Lay the hat in place. Again, it will stick when glue begins to dry.
- Using white glue, glue a ribbon on the hat.
- Glue google eyes in place.
- Cut out a triangle paper nose, and glue it to the center.
- Glue on a mouth. The kids wanted to cut their own mouths out of paper. I used a pipe cleaner to make mine.
- Let it all dry completely before moving it around much.
You are done with your adorable scarecrow craft for kids. If you need this to dry quicker, you can use hot glue. I also always love glue dots because kids can use them but they adhere quickly. That said, I don’t think these would work easily with the raffia.
Here’s a video tutorial:
Want More Great Fall Craft IdeasSock Pumpkins
What size google eyes did you use? The instructions say large but do not specify a size.
I believe they were about 30mm, but I’m not home right now and can’t get into my google eye collection to see if I have any that size to verify that.
This so cute, great fall project for my boys
Have fun with it! Thanks so much for commenting!
[…] Paper Pinwheel Scarecrow Kids Craft […]