This Coffee Filter Tie Dye Butterfly Craft is such an easy, fun and inexpensive craft. If you are struggling to think of a craft appropriate for toddlers, preschoolers and older kids, this is the perfect choice.
If you are crafting with younger kids, you might find this post helpful. Looking for other engaging crafts to do with younger kids? Give these egg carton flower prints a whirl. Now, for the reason you are here today: this adorable coffee filter butterfly craft.
Coffee Filter Tie Dye Butterfly Craft
I originally did this craft with my kids when they were younger. I’m taking the time to update old posts with better pictures, more clear content and a video so that you can have the best browsing experience at Meaningful Mama. My hope is to become a resource for you as you are navigating parenting, teaching or childcare. Thank you for investing in the lives of the next generation.
I believe in the creative arts. While some aren’t naturally bent this way, there are many benefits to learning art including creativity, fine motor skills and personal expression. Easy crafts like this butterfly craft hopefully encourage even less crafty moms to engage in the arts with their kids.
Anything you choose to purchase through these Amazon affiliate links contribute to the free resources I provide here at Meaningful Mama. Thank you for your support.
- Coffee Filters
- Clothes Pins
- Craft Eyes
- Pipe Cleaners
- Water Dropper
- Paper Towels
- White Glue or Glue Dots – Note, if dry time is an issue, glue dots are a great alternative. They adhere immediately, and they hold very strong. Younger kids might need help with these.
Below are also links to the exact products so you have a visual guide to help your purchases.
Nicole Home Collection Coffee Filters, Basket, 8-12 Cups 300 CountHoney-Can-Do DRY-01376 Wood Clothespins with Spring, 100-Pack, 3.3-inches Length,BrownCrayola Broad Point Washable Markers – Pack of 2 (58-7808-2Pack), BlueUpins 1000 Pcs Black Wiggle Googly Eyes with Self-Adhesive, 6mm 8mm 10 mm 12mm Mixed PackagingCaydo 324 Pieces Pipe Cleaners 27 Colors Chenille Stems for DIY Art Creative Crafts Decorations (6 mm x 12 Inch)Fiskars Student Scissors Softgrip, 7 Inch, 3 PackElmers Washable No-Run School Glue, 4 oz, 1 Bottle (E304) – Pack of 22-Pack – Glue Dots Mini Dot Roll, Each Pack Contains 300 (.19 inch) Mini Adhesive Dots (32794-300)
How to Make this Butterfly Craft
- First, kids will use markers to color the coffee filter. Any design is fine. Scribbling is acceptable. Just encourage a variety of colors and designs. It’s good to have something under the surface where they are coloring to protect the table. I often use older cardboard or Dollar Store tablecloths.
- Next, prepare your table more by laying a paper towel down and setting the coffee filter on top.
- Using the dropper, drops little drops of water on the coffee filter and watch the marker spread. Do a little at a time until kids have their desired effect.
- Let these dry.
- Kids can color their clothes pin to add to the design.
- Cut pipe cleaners to desired length. Twirl ends around the tip of pencil to create antennas. Attach these to the back of the clothes pin with glue or glue dots.
- Glue two craft eyes to the front of the clothes pin.
- Once dry, open the clothes pin, squish the center of the coffee filter toward the center and close the clothes pin around it.