Teaching Kids to Worship God Because of His Character
Materials Needed to Make Worship Flip Book for the Character of God
What are the character traits of God?
- Holy – “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was and is, and is to come.” – Revelation 4:8b
- Love – “God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him.” 1 John 4:16b
- Wise – “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts then your thoughts.” – Isaiah 55:9
- Faithful – “For the word of the Lord is right and true; he is faithful in all he does.” – Psalm 33:4
- All-Knowing – “Great is our Lord and mighty in power; his understanding has not limit.” – Psalm 147:5
- Just – “Yes the LORD longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion. For the LORD is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him.” – Isaiah 30:18
- Everlasting – “Stand up and praise the LORD your God, whos is from everlasting to everlasting.” – Nehemiah 9:5b
- Good – “Give thanks to the LORD for he is good. His love endures forever.” Psalm 136:1
- Three-in-one – Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the son and the Holy Spirit.” – Matthew 28:19 (not the word “name” is not plural)
- All-powerful – “For with God nothing shall be impossible.” – Luke 1:37
- Invisible – “He (Jesus) is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.” – Colossians 1:15
- Unchanging – “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like the shifting shadows.”
- Sovereign – “The LORD has established his throne in heaven, and his kingdom rules over all.” – Psalm 103:19
- True – “If you hold to my teachings, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” – John 8:31-32
- Gracious – “Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; he rices to show you compassion.” – Isaiah 30:18
- Merciful – “For the LORD your God is a merciful God; he will not abandon or destroy you.” – Deuteronomy 4:31a
- Patient – “The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” – 2 Peter 3:9
- Righteous – “Righteous are you, O Lord, and your laws are right.” – Psalm 119:137
- Forgiving – “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” – 1 John 1:9
I thought it would be an overwhelming list to present to small kids all at once, so we are focusing on 4 a day.
How to Make a Character of God Flip Book
To make your flip book, write out the words and the verses on an index card. One index card will have one trait and verse. If the kids are old enough, they can write out the attributes and verses. Otherwise, you will need to help.
You can write out the word and the whole verse or just the reference.
Kids can decorate the index cards to represent the character trait on the card.
I let the kids brainstorm first, and we used those words and scriptures first.
On a piece of colored stock paper write or have the kids write, “God is…”
Let them tape down the index cards, layered, to complete the sentence.
If you are new to my character development series, let me tell you a little bit more about these lessons. If you check out my character development tab, you will discover 52 character traits we work on throughout the year, which equals one word per week to focus on with your kids.
Hovering over the tab will reveal all of the words. Each character trait has 7-9 lessons. If you wanted to work on character daily, this is an amazing resource.
This year, I want to focus on cleaning up my series by presenting the lessons to you be compiling all of my lessons on a particular week.
In this series, you will find a word, definition, scripture to memorize, book lists and a number of activities and crafts related to the topic.
I hope you are inspired to work on character with your kids because being intentional in your parenting will help give great direction to both you and your children.