We love Thai flavors around here and this Thai Ginger Chicken Soup recipe doesn’t disappoint. With a coconut and chicken based broth mixed with a variety of vegetables, you’ll love the flavor combination. If you adore Thai food as much as we do, you might also enjoy the following recipes: Thai Coconut Soup, Tom Kha Gai Soup, Thai Drunken Noodles, Thai Margarita, Panang Curry and Pork Skewers with Peanut Sauce.
I need to give my sister all credit for this recipe. I dropped in on her one day, and this was on the stove. She was super excited about it and really wanted me to send you some encouragement. She is a recipe follower. I, too, tend to feel most comfortable sticking to a recipe. Being a blogger has really pushed me to try new things and start making my own recipes, which has been really fun. My sister, also, has decided she can divorce her reliance on recipes after this experience. She said that she had to do a lot of self talk. She watches cooking shows. She knows flavors. She was searching for a Thai recipe to use some ingredients she had around, and nothing she found seemed to satisfy. “You can do this!” was the self talk she used, and she just started to go with it and experiment. This Thai Ginger Chicken Soup recipe was the result.
Her soup was amazing. She offered me some while I was there, and it was one of those comfort soups that I didn’t want to stop eating. The Thai flavors were definitely prominent and developed.
One thing I love about a lot of asian dishes is that there is some chopping prep work, which can be done ahead of time. The cooking tends to happen fairly quickly, which makes it convenient as a busy mom.
Ingredients Needed to Make Thai Ginger Chicken Soup
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced thinly
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 2 tsp garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp lemongrass paste
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts, chopped into 2 inch strips
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
How to Make Thai Ginger Chicken Soup
- Heat coconut oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic, ginger and lemon grass and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add carrots, zucchini and mushrooms and cook for another two minutes.
- Add coconut milk and chicken broth.
- Once warm add chicken. Cook until chicken is heated through.
- Add cayenne pepper to taste.
- Stir in cilantro.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve. You could also add some rice to the bottom of the bowl for a more filling experience.
Today I want to encourage you to not only enjoy my sister’s recipe, but I also want you to use the same self-talk she did. “You can do this!” Why not have some fun experimenting with your own recipe creations?
More Great Thai Food Recipes
Restaurant Quality Phad Kee Mow – Thai Drunken Noodles Recipe