Cardboard Stackers

Cardboard Stackers

Isn’t it great to make wonderful play things with stuff you have around the house? Isn’t that what they used to do for toys? These cardboard stackers are both fun to make and play with afterward. What is great about today’s project is that you have an activity to do with your kids while you create the stackers. Then, you can help them build or they can build independently with what you have created. I think you and your kids will both enjoy this craft.

cardboard stackers upcycle craft kids

The cardboard building pieces you are creating today are colorful and sturdy. It will be fun to see the unique structures your children will choose to build.

Materials Needed to Make Cardboard Stackers

• Cardboard
  • Ruler and/or Yard Stick
  • Scissors
  • Pencil
  • Craft Paint

Written Instructions for Cardboard Stackers

1. Grab an old box or piece of cardboard. You can really make them at any size, but we chose to make a 2″ x 4″ shape with 1/2″ slits cut one inch from the corners. Measure all of this out using a ruler or yard stick.
  2. Cut out your individual pieces.
  3. Take craft paint and paint them all.
  4. Let these  dry completely before you play.

You can also make different shapes with which to build. I have added a few of our examples at the end.

Do You Love Crafts Made with Recycled Materials?

Here are some other great crafts you can make using recycled materials. Using what you have helps to spark children’s imagination, makes them think outside of the box and is an inexpensive way to teach creativity. I now often find myself pausing before I throw anything in the recycle bin or garbage can. “What can I make out of that?” always runs through my mind.

1-Egg Carton Flowers Egg Carton Flower Bouquet

1-#robot mask #diy #crafts for kids-075 DIY Robot Mask

1-#fish #toilet paper tube #craft #cubbies #bear hug 5-009 Toilet Paper Roll Fish

Comments

Oh cool! You did. I wish I had seen your version before. I got the idea from an old craft book I picked up a while ago at a second hand store. Wish I had seen yours first. I love the way you decorated them.

I just LOVE this craft! Even if you’re not doing anything in a day, they still look awesome and are so easy to make! Thank you for leaving a sweet comment on my painted vases :)

What a great idea- my 5 year old would surely really enjoy these! Love your profile description also :) You are clearly a great Mom! Hope you have a nice week!

Absolutely fantastic. I think my mans’ lil’ ones are a tad too old for this by now but I’ll still give it a go and see if the we dude might enjoy this as an outdoor activity (not much fun to be had in our concrete yard, I’m afraid, and no way I let him take LEGO outside- we’ll never see most of it again!) It’ll probably be a hit if I let him spray paint the pieces and get all dirty and messy with it. (best part will be to stick something around his face as a mask to keep out the fumes!) yup, this is defo worth a try! Thanks a lot for the inspiration :)

I hope it works out for you. I really wanted to spray paint them because I think it would create a more heavy duty surface and would look cleaner. I trusted the littler ones more with craft paint. Have fun!

Found you via “I can teach my child” blog. I love this idea! I will have to share on my Facebook page (Mama’s Little Muse) ! Thanks!

Just found this via “I can teach my child”…LOVE this idea. Can’t wait make some for my little one! I know it’s an older post but I have a question – did you paint the pieces before you cut them or after? I’m wondering if it would be easier if I did it before hand so I could paint a bunch at once but then I got concerned the paint wouldn’t look nice once I cut it out. Yours turned out nicely – which way did you do it?

Sorry it took me so long to write back. We painted the pieces after they were cut out. I was concerned about what the scissors might do to the paint. That said, they have held up pretty nicely and my kids still play with them. The paint hasn’t lost much, so it might work. The way I saw it, the painting kept my kids occupied for a while, so that seemed good to me. Have fun with it. Thanks for coming by!

I saw the picture on Pinterest and knew this would be great for my niece. I made some stackers today in 5 colours and we had a lot of fun playing and building stuff:) Thank you for this post.