Fall Salt Dough Ornaments

We made these fun fall salt dough ornament decorations. I used to make ornaments with my mom at Christmas time. It is fun to have the fall twist. The first thing we did was make up some salt dough. The recipe follows this post.

Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
Using a round cookie cutter, cut out circles.

We tried two techniques. The first one I found at the Artist Woman. It involves taking silk flowers and pressing them down really well – trying to get the impression of the leaf outline and veins. I couldn’t tell how these were going to turn out, so I also came up with a plan B.

I happen to have these decorative pie cutters, so we lightly pressed down on these to give the different fall impressions on the round discs we had cut out.

Using a straw, we punched out little holes so the ornaments could go on a string after baked.

We ended up with a variety of fall designs on our circle ornaments. We baked the ornaments on 250 for 2.5 + hours. Let these cool completely before painting.

We then painted the leaf, pumpkin or acorn section with red, orange and/or yellow acrylic  craft paint.

After the paint dried, we added another layer of watered down, brown acrylic paint. You just add water to a dark brown paint and mix it together. The watered down paint seeps into the cracks to bring out texture in the ornaments and gives a cool looking brown wash over the top.

You can add Mod Podge to the ornaments once they are dry to give a glazed effect.

You can string them together to make a beautiful display for your mantel or you can hang them individually.

Comments

Love the idea of turning them into ornaments. They turned out fantastic! Thanks so much for the link back Jodi. I’ll have to look for those piecrust cutters as they did a great job.

Love your salt dough ornaments!

I’m curious, though. Do you have any problems with the dough puffing up in the oven while you were baking the ornaments? I find I have this problem with some of my ornaments and wanted to see if you had a solution.

You know – it has been a while since I made these. I don’t remember it being a huge problem, but it may have puffed slightly. Sorry I’m not much more help.

I want to print, but didn’t want the extra stuff on the page to print. Why no print feature right from the page? I do lots of crafts with kids every week and don’t have time to copy paste print with a word document app. I know this kind of craft but want to use other crafter’s ideas with the kids. I like this craft, and will go through the hassle of copy, paste and print. I also don’t want to click icons of Pinterest, FB and the others.

Thanks for your feedback. I’m sorry it took me a bit to respond. I wanted to look into the options for providing this on my site. Thanks to your suggestion, it is now an option. If you look at the bottom of a post (near the Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook and Google+ share options), there will be a print pdf option for easy printing. I hope that helps!

4. Sheree Hart says

Is there a trick to working with salt dough? Do you have to make it and use it rght away? I made mine and than wrapped it in plastic wrap and it became very sticky. I tried adding more flour, but that didn’t help either.

You know, I’m not sure. I’ve always just used mine write away. If mine had become sticky, I would have done the exact thing you did, so I don’t know what advice to give. In cakes I use corn starch to take out the stickiness. You could try that. Sorry you are having troubles. Let me know if the corn starch works.

I have been able to store my salt dough in the fridge in a plastic zipper bag and reuse the dough up to a week with no problems. I make sure to squeeze out any excess air before sealing the bag. I have read, though, that we should use our dough right away, but I have always been able to use it up to a week after making it.

Hope this helps :0)