How to Make DIY Fall Leaf Prints with Kids
There are so many gorgeous fall colors and leaf shapes to represent in a graphic, fun presentation. I hope you are very inspired by this fall leaf craft, and I’d love for you to find more inspiration from these other 50 leaf craft ideas.
Materials Needed to Make Fall Leaf Prints
- acrylic craft paints in fall colors
- white paper – We used simple computer paper. A heavier weight paper would provide a more lasting design. I’m sure these would look gorgeous on canvas as well.
- foam paint brushes
- fall leaves – try a variety of shapes and sizes
How do you Make Fall Leaf Prints?
- Take a nature walk with your children if this is going to be a fall craft for the kids. If not, enjoy some time alone in nature as you gather leaves. If you are doing this with kids, take the time to observe autumn. Take in the sights and ask them what they see, smell and feel. Really gather in the beauty and uniqueness of fall, and help your kids see the creativity in God’s intricate design.
- Collect leaves in a variety of shapes and sizes.
- When you return home, set up shop. Cover your table. I like to have an inexpensive plastic tablecloth or plastic table clover roll on the ready at anytime. Another option is a more durable vinyl table covering.
- Prepare your kids. Protect their clothes with a child’s craft apron.
- Prepare the paints. Use a variety of fall colors. I add the colors in small amounts to a durable paper plate for easy clean-up. Some colors we used were orange, red, yellow, pink and green.
- Using a foam brush add a variety of paint colors to your leaf.
- Turn the leaf over on the paper and gently press down, making sure to press over the entire surface area off the leaf.
- Pull the leaf away slowly to reveal the gorgeous fall leaf print you have created. It’s as simple as that.
- Allow to dry before displaying.
As mentioned, these gorgeous leaf prints can quickly help you decorate your home for the autumn season. Displaying a child’s artwork shows them how much you value their work and creativity. It’s an easy step to building into their self-confidence.
Visual Tutorial for Making Fall Leaf Prints
Video Tutorial for How to Make DIY Fall Leaf Prints with Kids
Want More Fun Leaf Crafts for Kids?
Note: This post was originally written in 2013. It was updated in 2021 to make the user experience more enjoyable.