This easy pumpkin paper plate craft for kids is great for doing at home or making with kids at a harvest party in school. There are so many different options for decorating the pumpkins. Kids can explore their own ideas and creativity as they chose how to do design their pumpkin paper plate craft. I’ve seen similar pumpkin styles done with paper, but the paper plate component make is much easier. For another great paper pumpkin craft idea click here.
* Affiliate links provided for your convenience. Anything you purchase through these links helps to support Meaningful Mama and the free resources I provide. Thank you for choosing to support us.
Pumpkin Paper Plate Craft – Materials Needed
- orange paper plates or thin white paper plates
- green pipe cleaners
- green stock paper or green construction paper
- hole puncher
- thinner ruler (1″ wide)
- Various decorating supplies: gold paint pen, silver paint pen, small foam stickers, paint pens, google eyes, craft jewels, white glue, markers, glitter, glitter glue and/or acrylic craft paint
Pumpkin Paper Plate Craft – Instructions
- Put your 1″ wide ruler across the back of your orange paper place and trace on both sides of the rulers. Do another traced ruler perpendicular to the last. Draw two more diagonal ruler strips on the paper plate. This should give you a symmetrical 8 pronged plate.
- Punch a hole in each end of the paper plate strips using a hole punch.
- Decorate the paper plate how ever desired. You can use paint pens, Sharpies, stickers, craft jewels, google eyes, glitter or whatever your imagination wants to do.
- Take your pipe cleaner and bring each strip, in consecutive order, up and over the pipe cleaner.
- When you come to the last strip, string both end of the pipe cleaner through the hole.
- Once the pipe cleaners are through the final hole, twist a few times to secure the strips in place.
- Cut leaves out of green construction paper.
- Thread the leaves onto the pipe cleaners and twist the pipe cleaners a few times to secure in place.
- Twist pipe cleaner around in a spiral to give the illusion of a vine. You can bend the leaves up slightly so they have more depth and movement.
It’s super easy. Just watch this YouTube video if you want more clarification:
Pumpkin Paper Plate Craft – Option B
Another option for this paper plate craft is to use a white paper plate and follow all of the steps above. Kids can decorate their paper plates with a variety of supplies (listed above), but can also create their own base color with markers or paint. This allows a bit more freedom and fun with paints, but isn’t quite as simple as the already orange paper plates.
I hope you have tons of fun creating these fabulous pumpkins with the kids in your life. It’s great to celebrate autumn with seasonal crafts like this.