Want to amp up your ice cream experience? You should definitely try these easy DIY chocolate dipped ice cream cones. Whether you are doing something special for your kids or hosting a party, like this epic ice cream birthday party, these fun dipped ice cream cones delight.
While kids are excited about this fun treat, adults are brought back to their childhood with topping decorated ice cream cones. Not only that, but the added flavors and textures bring the taste experience to a new level.
DIY Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Cones
Cones can be dipped in white chocolate, milk chocolate or dark chocolate for a variety of flavor combinations. While I have suggestions for toppings listed here, I’d love to hear your creative solutions for your ice cream cone combos.
Materials Needed to Make DIY Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Cones
Amazon affiliate links provided for your convenience. Anything you purchase in these links helps support the free resources I provide here at Meaningful Mama. Thank you so much for supporting what I do.
- Candy Melts – Can use dark, milk, white or any fun color combo you choose. Note: I did a taste test of a higher quality candy melt like Ghirardelli vs. Wilton, and the taste is much better when you go with a more premium chocolate.
- Ice Cream Cones
- Mini M&M’s
- Shredded Coconut
- Nut Topping
- Mini Chocolate Chips
Below is everything you would need. I tried to link to the least expensive.
Wilton Light Cocoa and Bright White Candy Melts Candy Set, Vanilla & Chocolate Candy MeltsGhirardelli Melting Chocolate Wafers Baking Variety Pack with Dark White Milk Chocolates for Baked Goods, Fondue and Candy Dipping, Set of 3, 10 OunceJoy Cone 12-Count SUGAR Ice Cream CONES 5oz (2 Pack)M&M’S Milk Chocolate MINIS Size Candy, 1.08 Ounce TubeChefs Select Decorative Rainbow Sprinkles Jimmies 14oz | Value Size | Gluten Free CertifiedEdward & Sons, Organic Shredded Coconut, Unsweetened, 8 oz (227 g)(PACK 1)Fisher Nut Topping Ice Cream Toppers 5 Oz. (Pack of 3)Nestle Toll House Semi Sweet Chocolate Mini ChipsKraft Jet Puffed Mini Marshmallows, 10 oz (Pack of 3)
How to Make DIY Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Cones
- Melt your candy melts in the microwave or on the stove top according to package directions.
- Pour your toppings in different bowls.
- Wait until chocolate thickens slightly. If chocolate is too hot or too solidified, heavy toppings will slide off. Find that sweet spot. You can test on a broken piece of cone.
- Do one cone at a time. Dip top 1.5″ of cone in chocolate.
- Next, sprinkle toppings onto the chocolate dipped cone. You might be tempted to dip, but this can make a mess in your toppings. Note: M&M’s are more heavy, so they are harder to do. They slip off easily, so it takes that perfect sweet spot for the chocolate and more patience. The marshmallows need to be placed one by one.
- Allow to solidify completely at room temperature or in a refrigerator.
- Scoop ice cream onto cone and enjoy.
These cones were made for my daughter’s 5th birthday party. My kids helped me dip and decorate the cones at age 3 and five. It is always fun to get the kids involved in the process. Boosting creativity, creating memories and bonding as a family are just a few of the benefits.